Sightseeing Places in Bago

Bago is formerly known as Pegu. It is just 80km (50miles) north of Yangon and just an hour drive from Yangon. Bago is assessable easily from Yangon, Mandalay, Pyay and other cities. The river crossing in the middle of town, Bago has many cultural sites: famous Shwe-Maw-Daw Pagoda, Hin-Thar-Kone Pagoda, Shwe-Thar-Lyaung reclining Buddha Image, KalayaniSima Ordination Hall, a massive 28 meter tall Buddha Statue of Kyeik-Pun Pagoda, Winkabaw Elephant Camp, Kanbozathadi Palace and ShwePyi Resorts. Bago in which the ethnic group, Mon, were the first to settle is one of the richest archaeological sites in Myanmar. Bago was once the capital of the Mon kingdom, Hansavati (Hantharwaddy). It is also the seaport of ancient Mon kings. Then, it became the second Myanmar Empire founded by King Ba-Yint-Naung.

Shwemawdaw Pagoda

The name Shwemawdaw, with a height of 114m, means “Great Golden God”. More than 1000 years ago, it was originally built by a Mon king as a place of worship for the two hairs relics given by the Buddha. At that time, the pagoda was only about 23m high. By 840, it was raised to 27m. Unfortunately, a massive earthquake in 1930 knocked down the entire pagoda, leaving only the base. However, in 1952, the pagoda was completely remodeled and built to 114m high and remains the same until today. The golden spike at the top makes the temple the tallest religious building in Myanmar.

HinthaGon Pagoda

Hinthagon pagoda is located a short walk from East of Shwemawdaw pagoda. It was a natural spot to land for the hamsa, the mythical bird in the legend. It is also a major place of festivals for nat (spirits). You can watch the dancers of nats together with clanging of a traditional orchestra.

Kanbozathardi Palace

The Kanbawzathadi Palace was built in 1556 in the time of King Bayinnaung. It was razed to the ground in a fire in 1599 and was rebuilt in 1990 and is still an excellent example of royal Burmese architecture. Here you will find a range of reproductions and models of royal possessions such as the golden coach that would have belonged to the king, as well as rooms like the Great Audience Hall which has 167 teak pillars. Other notable area is the Bhammayarthana Throne Hall which includes the royal bed chamber and the king’s living quarters.

ShwePyi Resorts

Shwe Pyi resort is a sprawling wide range landscape site near Bago. It is a tropical resort for family recreation. It has many recreational areas – the Shwe Pyi country club and biking activities. The large lake in the resort is a perfect place for paddle rowing. Also, there is a wood carving workshop and a wood carving museum. Guests can spend time in the Air Bus Cafe or the Shwe Pyi spa which has a relaxing massage and spa treatment.

Wingabaw Elephant Conservation Camp

Wingabaw elephant camp is located in Bago Region, which is about two to three hour drive from Yangon. In Winkabaw elephant camp, there were total 17 elephants – 9 adults and 8 between one and half months / sixteen years old. The orphan baby elephants are also kept separately. There is an eight month old baby elephant and she is with her mother. They are kept separately.

Shwemawdaw Pagoda

The name Shwemawdaw, with a height of 114m, means “Great Golden God”. More than 1000 years ago, it was originally built by a Mon king as a place of worship for the two hairs relics given by the Buddha. At that time, the pagoda was only about 23m high. By 840, it was raised to 27m. Unfortunately, a massive earthquake in 1930 knocked down the entire pagoda, leaving only the base. However, in 1952, the pagoda was completely remodeled and built to 114m high and remains the same until today. The golden spike at the top makes the temple the tallest religious building in Myanmar.

HinthaGon Pagoda

Hinthagon pagoda is located a short walk from East of Shwemawdaw pagoda. It was a natural spot to land for the hamsa, the mythical bird in the legend. It is also a major place of festivals for nat (spirits). You can watch the dancers of nats together with clanging of a traditional orchestra.

Kanbozathardi Palace

The Kanbawzathadi Palace was built in 1556 in the time of King Bayinnaung. It was razed to the ground in a fire in 1599 and was rebuilt in 1990 and is still an excellent example of royal Burmese architecture. Here you will find a range of reproductions and models of royal possessions such as the golden coach that would have belonged to the king, as well as rooms like the Great Audience Hall which has 167 teak pillars. Other notable area is the Bhammayarthana Throne Hall which includes the royal bed chamber and the king’s living quarters.

ShwePyi Resorts

Shwe Pyi resort is a sprawling wide range landscape site near Bago. It is a tropical resort for family recreation. It has many recreational areas – the Shwe Pyi country club and biking activities. The large lake in the resort is a perfect place for paddle rowing. Also, there is a wood carving workshop and a wood carving museum. Guests can spend time in the Air Bus Cafe or the Shwe Pyi spa which has a relaxing massage and spa treatment.

Wingabaw Elephant Conservation Camp

Wingabaw elephant camp is located in Bago Region, which is about two to three hour drive from Yangon. In Winkabaw elephant camp, there were total 17 elephants – 9 adults and 8 between one and half months / sixteen years old. The orphan baby elephants are also kept separately. There is an eight month old baby elephant and she is with her mother. They are kept separately.